Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Austin Explorer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:19:31 AM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
In a recent discussion with a member I was asked a very good question. Since a single day out on the trails might result in me walking along more than one trail or location in the database, what should I log? A single log for one of the trails? Multiple logs for each trail in the database?

Which way?

The answer is simple, but also a little complex. The answer is, whatever you want to do!

A single log entry for the entire outing assigned to a single trail or location is the easiest to do. You won't have to calculate different distances for the different segments or submit multiple logs for a single outing. The downside of this option is that only a single trail or location will be marked as "hiked" on your map.

Multiple log entries are a bit more work, but the benefit is that you'll mark off more trails as having been hiked if you're trying to scratch another one off your list.

The map segment below illustrates the dilemma.

Guadalupe Mountains

Starting out near the visitor center you might hike a loop that includes Tejas Trail, Bowl Trail, Bear Canyon Trail, Frijole Trail and the Foothills Trail.

I realize that the current scheme is not ideal for some users and I'm looking at some options that might combine the best of both worlds in allowing for singular log entries that encompass visits to multiple trails. There's no timeline for this functionality though so until then choose the option that best suits your needs.
Robert