Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stedmanrecon  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:22:31 AM(UTC)
Stedmanrecon

Groups: Registered

So, I am planning a thru-hike of the LSHT coming up in January right after the hunting season ends. This will be my first "thru-hike" on a long distance trail, and in the beginning stages of planning thru-hikes of Ouichita Trail, John Muir Trail, and a few others in a build up to doing the PCT or the AT.

Figured I would leave this as an open thread so that I can ask questions or seek advice as I stumble along on needing guidance for something. I am new to this forum (and website), but not new to forums, so I'm sure I will figure out the ropes on here pretty quick.

So, I guess first of all... Has anyone done a complete thru-hike of the LSHT? If so, what time of year did you make the trip?
Blaze  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:04:57 AM(UTC)
Blaze

Groups: Registered, TrustedUser

I have done the entire LSHT in sections. I wasn't able to thru-hike it at the time I was hiking there since many sections were closed due to fallen trees and other safety issues. Now that the entire LSHT is open again, I'd like to hike it sometime in the future.

As for the time of year, I would not recommend the summer (too hot/humid) or during hunting season. Too many Bubbas out there with rifles. Early in the year (Feb) or Late Fall would be ideal.

I have thru-hiked the JMT. Best hike ever. Highly recommended!
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
Stedmanrecon  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 4:24:10 AM(UTC)
Stedmanrecon

Originally Posted by: Lone_Star Go to Quoted Post
I have done the entire LSHT in sections. I wasn't able to thru-hike it at the time I was hiking there since many sections were closed due to fallen trees and other safety issues. Now that the entire LSHT is open again, I'd like to hike it sometime in the future.

As for the time of year, I would not recommend the summer (too hot/humid) or during hunting season. Too many Bubbas out there with rifles. Early in the year (Feb) or Late Fall would be ideal.

I have thru-hiked the JMT. Best hike ever. Highly recommended!

According to the guidebook, and someone from the LSHT club that I have made contact with, the hunting season ends on the first of January. So, my plan was to start my hike about a week after just to give enough time for any loose "bubbas" to get on back home lol. And for sure wanted to avoid the whole hot/humid time frame.

I can't wait to hit the JMT. Was planning on using this as a training hike to build up thru-hiking experience for that in particular.

Regarding the JMT... I have heard and read in a few different places that it is sometimes a pain in the rear to get passes (or permission) to make the hike through some sections of the trail that go through certain National Parks. What is your experience, or thoughts, on that?

Blaze  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 1:50:08 PM(UTC)
Blaze

The LSHT is a good place to get some endurance training, but frankly your biggest challenge on the JMT may be elevation change. That's something you can't get much of here in Texas, unfortunately. I spent several days out in the Guadalupe Mts to strengthen my legs, but even there you'll only get up to 8500 ft. On the JMT, you'll hit 10 (or so) mountain passes in excess of 10,000 ft.

Thru-hiking the JMT does require a permit and they can be hard to obtain unless you apply for one ahead of time. They do have a very limited number of "walk-in" permits that you can wait for, but a lot of people do exactly that so your chances are limited. I lucked out. I went to Yosemite to do some hiking and was prepared to wait a few days in hopes of getting a "walk-in" permit (I had applied for a permit several times months in advance, but was denied). In any case, on a whim, I decided to stop in the Wilderness Office at 4pm in the afternoon and they told me they had a spot open up if I wanted it. The catch was it was a "pass-thru" permit (meaning I had to pass-thru (and not stop) in Little Yosemite Valley) and I had to leave THAT DAY. I had already been hiking all day in Yosemite and my legs were shot, but I snagged that permit and got onto the JMT because it was too good to pass up. I got on the JMT at 5pm, but it was July so I had several hours of daylight left. The hike out of Yosemite is beautiful as it takes you past several famous waterfalls, but you also have to deal with several thousand feet of elevation gain.

Getting a permit by hiking SOBO from Yosemite is a lot easier than trying to get a permit hiking NOBO from Whitney. You have to win the lottery to get a permit in that direction. I do want to be clear on one point, though -- the permit you get for the JMT is good for the entire trail. You do not need individual permits for Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, etc. Do NOT attempt to get on the JMT without a permit, though, as they do have rangers out there that check for them. I had to show my permit 2 or 3 times.

If you're not a purist, there is another option. You can get a PCT permit, which is a lot easier. Most (but not all) of the JMT is on the PCT, so you can hike most of the JMT with a PCT permit. You are just not permitted to do certain parts, such as Mt. Whitney, parts of Yosemite, etc.

Anyways, I'm just providing you with info. At the end of processing it all, don't let anything deter you. GO!!! You will be soooo glad that you did. I'm not sure what your hiking experience or style is, but I'll be happy to share with you how I did it (e.g., resupply, pace, etc).
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
soonerdg  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:07:39 PM(UTC)
soonerdg

I know i'm resurecting pretty old thread but it's the most recent thread on this forum. Anyway, you can get some good training in regard to elevation change on some of the trails in SE Oklahoma. The trail through Beaver's Bend state park has a 5 mile section that gains and looses about 3500 feet of elevation over the 5 miles. And they've never heard of a switchback so its some tough hiking up and down. We use it as a tune up before taking our Boy Scout troop to Philmont every year. It usually takes us a full day to cover the 5 miles.
Shay  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 8:31:07 PM(UTC)
Shay

I'm headed out Friday. Maybe I'll see you out there.
Shay  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 8:31:31 PM(UTC)
Shay

I'm headed out Friday. Maybe I'll see you out there.
Lampoon  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:54:24 PM(UTC)
Lampoon

So how was it? Thinking of a thru hike mid month.
Trying to figure out drop off and extraction points.

Richards to Winters Bayou....Cool
Blaze  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:21:54 PM(UTC)
Blaze

Check here for maps and latest trail conditions to assist you in planning your hike.
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
txpop  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 2, 2017 1:58:33 AM(UTC)
txpop

LSHT Closed
The Lone Star Hiking Trail is closed, because of Hurricane Harvey damage. Volunteers are in the process of surveying the entire trail by hiking it and using the RAMBLR app to take photos and document trail work needed. Volunteers are desperately needed. Contact the Lone Star Hiking Trail Club if you would like to help.
In addition, all other trails in the Sam Houston National Forest are also closed because of Harvey damage.

txpop

Edited by user Monday, October 2, 2017 2:00:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Mispelled words