Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Austin Explorer  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 5, 2013 3:16:29 AM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
In the end, if the same amount of work is done, regardless of the time spent, the benefits seem to roughly equal according to this study.

Take a hike

So us aging trail hikers need not worry about missing out on the health benefits we think the younger runners are getting that we're missing out on. As long as we remain in motion we're doing the body good.

How slow is too slow? According to one study, it's 3 miles per hour.

Keep walking!
Robert
Blaze  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:58:39 AM(UTC)
Blaze

Groups: Registered, TrustedUser

This is encouraging! 4.3 mph is fast (unless there's a sale at REI, lol), but 3 mph is very doable. I used to run cross country when I was younger, but at my age I find running to be too high impact. Plus, the extra laboring kind of takes you "out of the moment" more than walking, in my opinion. Also, I think there are so many additional health benefits to hiking than just burning calories. I know they focused on the quantifiable, but I'm sure most hikers would agree that there are many other rewarding benefits that are not easily quantified.

It would have been interesting if the study had also looked at hiking with backpacks of various weights. Many long distance thru-hikers burn 5,000 calories a day and they're ultra-light. Now that's a ticket to eating as much as you want without feeling guilty!
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
Blaze  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:00:02 AM(UTC)
Blaze

Here's another article that claims walking is good for your brain.
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
Austin Explorer  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 8:02:59 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Burn off the calories by hitting the trail, according to this article. I REALLY need to hit the trail!
Robert
Blaze  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 25, 2014 11:52:26 PM(UTC)
Blaze

I think you really need to be moving pretty quickly and/or carrying a load or doing some sort of elevation change to burn 9 calories a minute, but even if you have a lower caloric burn, you're still burning calories!

I can also relate to the part of the article where he mentioned treadmills, elliptical machines, etc. just weren't working for him. To me, the boredom factor is too great in a gym. You can reduce it by listening to music or watching TV, but that takes you out of the moment. For me, nothing compares to being outdoors, breathing fresh air, soaking in sunshine, and seeing and doing really cool things. 60-90 minutes on a treadmill seems like an eternity, but 4-6 hours on the trail is just plain fun!

Hike on!
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star